Relocation With A Child

Many parents want to relocate following divorce or the end of a nonmarital relationship. Support from extended family, a new job or remarriage are common reasons for wanting to move. But relocation is challenging when a child is involved.

Pennsylvania parents who wish to relocate with a child are required to file a formal notice to the non-relocating parent with at least 60-days notice if the move would significantly impair the ability of the non-relocating parent to exercise custodial rights. If the non-relocating parent objects, court intervention is required prior to moving the child and a determination will be made on the proposed relocation as to what is in the child's best interest.

We offer a free initial consultation in which family law attorney Craig P. Kalinoski will answer your questions about relocating with a child and recommend the appropriate steps to take. Call 570-906-8173 to schedule an appointment.

How Is A Request For Relocation Decided?

The court considers a number of factors when a parent requests the right to relocate with a child. Besides the child's best interests, factors that are considered include:

  • The child's relationship with the moving parent, the non-moving parent, siblings and other family members
  • The impact of the move on the child's education and emotional development
  • The feasibility of the child maintaining a relationship with the parent who is not moving
  • The level of involvement of the non-moving parent in the child's life
  • Factors behind the relocation

At Kalinoski Law Offices P.C. in Scranton, attorney Craig P. Kalinoski represents parents who are requesting approval to relocate, as well as parents who want to prevent a spouse from moving away with a child.

Mr. Kalinoski has more than 12 years of experience assisting residents of northeast Pennsylvania. As a devoted father who has been through the divorce process, Mr. Kalinoski serves his clients with a great deal of empathy and understanding in terms of the emotions they are experiencing.

Do You Have Questions? Email Us Today.

If you have questions about relocating with children after divorce, contact our office. Taking steps on our own without legal representation could negatively impact the final outcome in these cases. Our Scranton child custody and relocation lawyer will guide you through the steps that need to be taken to reach a positive resolution.