Reach A Child Custody And Visitation Agreement That Works

Among the most difficult decisions that parents who are ending a relationship must make is how to divide time with children. Pennsylvania law calls for acting in the "best interest of the child," which means if you are unable to agree to terms with your child's other parent, a judge will determine which party has the most interest and ability to care for your child's physical, educational, religious and emotional needs.

When the court determines custody, it decides who will have legal custody and who will have physical custody. Legal custody is the right to make major decisions affecting the child, including medical, religious and educational decisions. Physical custody is the right to have the child in your care.

At Kalinoski Law Offices P.C., in Scranton, we encourage couples to reach agreement themselves on custody and visitation matters, and we help them do so. You know your child and what is in his or her best interest much more than a family court judge who has never met you or your child.

By reaching agreement on your own, you and your child's other parent keep more control over the critical decisions that will shape your post- divorce lives with your children.

What You Should Understand About Child Custody

Often, parents will share legal custody, which means they consult with one another regarding major decisions about schooling, religion and medical treatment. Pennsylvania law identifies four types of physical custody:

  • Primary physical custody gives one party the right to have possession of the child a majority of the time.
  • Shared physical custody gives both parties the right to have frequent and regularly scheduled contact with the child, which is usually equally split.
  • Partial physical custody is the right to unsupervised visitation, and may be for a few hours every week or one day a week, every other weekend, etc.
  • Supervised visitation is when a parent is only allowed to visit with the child in the company of another person. This person is usually a friend, relative or social worker that the two parents agree or the court dictates will be allowed to act as a chaperon during the visit.

We also assist clients with petitions for custody modification. Potential grounds for a change of custody may include either parent relocating for a job or as a result of remarriage, or abuse, neglect, or drug or alcohol dependence by a parent or someone living in the same household as the parent.

Schedule A Free Appointment Today

We invite you to schedule a free initial consultation with our Scranton child custody lawyer to get answers to your questions. Call 570-906-8173 or use our contact form to make an appointment.